Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

The Amazing Aunt Kat made Vienna some cool under-bankets for Vienna's big girl bed using an old grey woollen blanket that used to belong to Ashley's Nana. I love that we were able to use something that had so much history and there were very few left over scraps but we did manage to have just enough to make this matching hot water bottle cover for Vienna.

I don't have a sewing machine so it is all lovingly hand-stitched, I managed to keep some of the original red blanket stitching and decided to tie in the red to the rest of my design. I got out my french knitting thingy (i don't know what it is called) and made the draw-string cord with some red wool from my stash (Yay! Using up stuff that I already own!), then crocheted a long length of the same red wool and sewed it on to make Vienna's name along the bottom. The project then stalled for a few weeks as I couldn't remember how to crochet in rounds to make the little circle for the dot in her 'i' but the next time we were in Raglan Evelyn showed me how (Yay Grandma!) and I just love the finished product!

On cold nights Vienna's hot water bottle pre-heats her bed with warm and hand-made crafty love.







No comments:

Post a Comment